Research at ITA
Our equipment for the production of yarns from meltable polymers in lab and industrial scale comprises:
- piston spinning machine
- bicomponent spinning machine
- extruder spinning machines in industrial scale
- false twist texturing machine in industrial scale
- several further processing machines (entangling, air jet texturing, drawing et al.)
We can produce mono- and multifilament yarns from PET, PA, PP and PVDF and process the yarns to fabrics.
In lab scale, we can produce solution spun yarns.
From granule to product:
The focus of our research projects is on :
- Spinning of yarns from new polymers and rapid prototyping,
- characterisation of yarns and their behaviour in down-stream processing,
- development, optimisation and design of the resp. components and machines,
- building of prototypes of these components and machines,
- simulation of the resp. processes and machines using analytical (e.g. Fluent) and numerical algorithms (e.g. neural networks).
|Simulation of polymer flow with computational fluid dynamics (CFD).|
RWTH Aachen University is the world's largest research centre for polymers. Within the Aachen Polymer Chain, the following partners are involved:
Aachen Polymer Chain (apc)